Thursday, March 13, 2008

Training

Talk about being ridiculous.

There is a travel freeze going on in my company. In other words no travel, no expenditure like parties, lunches, prizes etc are allowed. For that matter, there are no hikes in salary either. Hmph.

It was in such trying times that they decided to hold a training.

Me, I love trainings. You get to go to exotic locales, goof off without working, sleep away in class and get to meet awfully handsome dudes too (if you are lucky). Unfortunately with all this freeze shit, they decided to pull a technological fast one on you. The training was supposed to be online, remote and - hold your breath - at midnight IST.

I was pissed.

I mean, you had to stay in office from 6 PM to midnight just to listen to a bunch of old fuddy-duddies who didn't know what IST meant.

But being the ever optimistic, capricious, rebellious, pain in the butt that I am (thank you!), I took full advantage of this situation and tried to make it as appealing as possible.

For starters, I started waking up at 10 AM.

Not impressed? Well, if you wake up at 6 AM daily, the thought of 4 solid extra hours can get very appealing indeed. Anyway, I started waking up at 10, having a leisurely breakfast, doing my housework and then getting to gym, eating scrumptious gobi-parathas to compensate for the loss of precious calories and ending it all by sauntering into office at 3PM (which was the time I generally used to leg it on most days, sigh, but these were tough times).

No satisfied with a half hour coffee break and and another 2 hours of 'discussions' with fellow colleagues, I used to walk into the training room at 6 sharp to find the best pick of backseats where I could nod off without being noticed. An hour used to go by and then another. Dinner break was usually around 8PM which suited me to a T since that was my dinner time anyway. For that matter, I can eat dinner any time of the day as long as food is ready, but then we are digressing.

After dinner, there had to be a way of relaxing those ol' overworked brain-cells and tired limbs. Of course there is hardly a better way of relaxing those ol' overworked brain-cells and tired limbs than playing pool (and winning) or table tennis (as long as you didn't have to stoop all over the place picking up dropped balls) and carrom. So I, not wanting to go against the health and safety regulations, indulged in a solid hour or 2 of "relaxation".

Then popped right back into the training room looking like innocence itself.

In another couple of hours the training would come to an end and I would go back home, gloriously satisfied with a day well spent.

That was a great week. Perhaps remote trainings are better than in-person ones, eh? ;)

1 comment:

Shivani said...

The answer is simple. 42.

A la Hitchhiker's...the answer to the ultimate q of the life the univ and everything :D

i love adams!