Sunday, June 6, 2010

Personae Dramatis

This applies not only to human beings, but also to mundane things like vegetables as I very recently discovered to my chagrin.

I decided to make this Sunday very special for my boy by serving some of my fabulous home cooked meals. I am normally not your kitchen-types but I do make some killers.

So when I went shopping for vegetables, I realised that I had a lot more to learn than a silly MBA.

"Bhaiya, zaara woh choti waali lauki dena" I said
"Woh baingan hai memsaab" he replied.

I was stunned. I looked at the vegetable closely and decided to buy something I could recognize correctly instead.

"Those strawberries - how much are they?" and my mind drifted off to all those innovative uses I could put those lovely red strawberries to.
"Those aren't strawberries, madam, they are litchies"

AArrrgghh.

I decided to go to some other market and try my luck there. This one was very deceptive I thought sourly.

Half an hour later, I was haggling with a vendor on the prices of ginger which turned out to not be ginger but arbi.

Oh well.

I came home and cooked a potato dish instead.

No comments: