Thursday, February 11, 2010

Strawberries

I decided to put my kannada speaking skills to good use one day when I espied rows of sparkling red strawberries in the vegetable market.

"How much are these?" I asked in perfect kannada.

The vendor looked at me suspiciously and replied "35" in English.

I glared at him. If I had asked that question in English, he would have given me an incomprehensible reply, I thought darkly.

"Give me those that are sweet" I asked again, this time in broken kannada.

Our pal grinned and rattled off a stream of verbage.

"Er, yeah, I will take this one" I said with the confidence I was far from feeling by now. "And I want it for 30 rupees, 35 is too expensive".

He smirked. For all the entertainment I was providing to him with my broken kannada, he didn't hesitate to give me the required discount.

I picked up the strawberries and strode off extremely pleased with my bargaining.

No comments: