Monday, June 13, 2011

Summer

When I realised I would be visiting the UK during summer, I started really looking forward to some lovely sunshine, sheep-in-the-meadows lazy landscapes and bare-bodied handsome hunks on beaches.

As most women, I spent 67% of my time plotting my wardrobe, taking care to pack all the halters, noodle-straps and scooped necklines I possessed. After all, the summer season was created to enjoy nature's beauty, wasn't it? The more mundane things like air tickets, forex and other trivialities I finished within 23 minutes flat.

So when my mom shoved a thick sweatshirt into my bag "just-in-case", I was loth to admit that for all the sunshine in the country, I'd still need something to protect me from the air-conditioning of the aeroplane.


And as moms usually are, she was right. The aeroplane temperature gave me an exclusive preview of life in Antartica during the winters. I don't think anyone was happier to land than I - mostly because I'd finally get to burrow out of the piles of blankets and sweatshirt and smile up at the sun than because I was visiting a place I had never been to before.


Imagine my shock when I sashayed out of the aiport into a blast of chilling wind that, if you will pardon the expression, knocked the wind out of me. I squinted up into the swirling black clouds and shook my fist at the sky. I was already beginning to hate London.


Einstein's Theory of Relatively is a very powerful tool. It is perhaps the only excuse that can be used in virtually any situation. So, four layers of clothing and these people had the audacity to call it Summer! Invoke Einstein's Theory.


I spent the rest of my stay bundled up in jackets, dreaming of India.

1 comment:

Babnu said...

Hahaha,true, UK's weather is really boring. Its raining and depressing.